Precast Reinforced Concrete Box Culverts
Precast Concrete Box Culverts can function as a structure, a conduit or both!
They are recommended for applications where circular concrete pipe cannot
provide adequate flow capacity. Precast Boxes are a superior substitute for
cast-in-place box culverts, long-span metal arches, short bridges and multibarrel
- Spans — 4' to 24'
- Rise — 3' to 12'
Contact Sherman-Dixie for other size availability.
Precast Boxes are very versatile and offer many advantages including:
- Dependable, predictable structural integrity
- Minimum traffic delays
- Full or 3-sided Box shapes
- Cast in Nationally Certified facilities (ACPA/NPCA)
- Minimal Environmental Impact
- High Early Compressive Strengths
- Faster, Easier and Safer than Cast-in-Place Boxes
- Ease of Installation: 6' laying lengths
- ASTM C789/AASHTO M259 Precast — Reinforced Concrete Box Sections
- ASTM C850/AASHTO M273 Precast — Reinforced Concrete Box Sections with
less than 2 feet of cover
- ASTM C1433 Precast — Reinforced Concrete Box Sections (latest revision of
C789 and C850)
Precast Box Culvert sections can be used for the following:
- Highway culverts
- Railroad culverts
- Storm drains
- Detention systems
- Short span highway bridges
- Livestock, pedestrian or golf cart crossings
- Utility tunnels
- To replace existing open channels or ditches and/or facilitate expansion of
Precast box sections are produced with reliable tongue and groove joints,
which can be sealed with mastic joint, pre-formed mastic or butyl gaskets,
mortar and external joint wraps.